Friday, March 18, 2011

"I Know A Guy"

"I know a guy."  These are words that roll easily and often off my husband's tongue.  I cringe every time I hear them.  Because it translates to this: You will not be getting what you want anytime soon.  You might eventually get what I want.  And if this "guy" ever does come through, the entire thing will be slightly shady and you will be embarrassed to tell your family about it.

Here are some examples of Doug's (over)use of this phrase.

1) "If you don't care about the paint color I know a guy who can get it for free."  
2) "Don't worry, the rest of the fence will get done.  I know a guy.  Do you care if it all matches?" 
3) " I know a guy who can get us cheap flooring.  You just have to meet me in their warehouse after business hours and just don't tell anyone, okay?" 
4) "Are you sure you want to go to that doctor?  I know a guy who can do that."

So you can imagine my dismay when I heard these words shortly after I began a project that I thought was a really great idea.  He walked into the garage, took one look at the mess and the lack of progress and I knew exactly what was coming next.  "Don't do anymore.  I know a guy who can take care of this for us."

Turns out this "guy" is named Gary and he works for Fetzer and he is an angel.  We delivered our table and chairs in broad daylight and even got a tour of their amazing woodworking shop.  We briefly told him what we had in mind, dropped off our paint and left the rest to him.  Two weeks later this is what we got in return.




I was a little nervous about the green.  My furniture tends to be pretty boring - all brown and black.  So this was definitely a big change for me.



But once I dressed it up a little I was in love.  All of this color made my previously drab dining area come alive.


Ever since we got the table back I've been trying really hard to keep my family away from it.  I barely let them eat at the table and any kind of homework or coloring is absolutely out.  Kyle told me that I'm treating it like a decoration, not a table.  At least somebody understands. 

So here's to you, sweetie, and all of the "guys" who have come and gone in our ten years of marriage.  The next time I hear your infamous phrase I promise to refrain from rolling my eyes or snorting in disgust.  Gary was worth the wait.

2 comments: