Friday, April 22, 2011

Has it really been nine years . . .

Since I first became a mom?  Since Chase became a part of our family?  Since I've brought home a paycheck?!  It seems like just yesterday that Doug and I were giddy with anticipation over becoming parents.  We were thrilled with the perfect little boy we brought home from the hospital that day.  We were scared and excited.  And nervous and grateful.  We were in awe of him.  And nine years later we pretty much still are.

Chase insisted he did not want a party.  No matter how many times I offered to have a whole crew of 3rd graders over he would never agree to a party.  I offered everything; swimming, bowling, video game night, but still he did not want to have a party.  At first I was confused by this.  Who doesn't want a party on their birthday?  Then Doug informed me that this is a "guy thing".  Just too much social effort.  I guess . . . whatever.

Chase was very clear that he did not want cutesy invitations.  This was a slight dagger to my heart, as I realized my cutesy ideas might start embarrassing him.  He told me that it wasn't necessary and not worth the effort.  Code for "please don't embarrass me". 

All Chase wanted to do for his birthday was hang out with our own little family.  After I finally accepted that this was his true desire we started brainstorming.  After just a few minutes Chase knew exactly what he wanted:

1)  Birthday dinner with just us and the "close grandmas".  That's what he calls Grandma and Grandpa Carley.  He knows their names but for some reason that just sticks.  He requested turkey, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie.  So yes, I made an entire Thanksgiving dinner for him.  It was delicious.

2) Present opening with just the family and please let there be video games and a U of O jersey.  Gladly!  Anything to get him away from the Utah jerseys.

3) Go see one of University of Utah's football scrimmages.  This is free.  Awesome.  We just happened to luck out that they were having a scrimmage a couple of days after his birthday.  In the end he decided to invite his two best friends, Payton and Alex, to come along with us.  I'm so glad he did.

It was wonderful.  For him - and for me.  No mobs of children trashing my house.  No party games or obstacle courses.  No invitations or RSVPs.  No mess and no clean-up.  We just enjoyed being with him and celebrating him.  Together.  Like I said, it was wonderful.

So simple.  It was just for us and the grandparents.  You can see my Thanksgiving
dinner brewing in the background.  Yum, yum.

He was thrilled with every single gift. 

He even smiled and posed with Kyle.  This is a special day.

"You are just the nicest mom ever."  That comment made whatever I did and
whatever we bought totally worth it.  He's finally growing up and finally starting to get it.
Allie helped every step of the way.  And Chase let her.  So cute.

I made two pumpkin pies because I knew Chase would eat one all by himself.
It took him two days, but he did it.

Birthday Celebration Part 2

I did really easy party favors and cupcakes for after the scrimmage. 
I'm just not quite ready to let go of the cutesy.

Yes, all red.  For the Utes.

Alex, Chase, Payton and Kyle enjoying their front row seats. 
The scrimmage was actually really fun.  We were right by the action and could
even hear what the coaches were saying.  The stadium looks kinda cool when it's that empty.

Doug met us here after work.  We had warm weather and snacks.  Allie is happy.

Birthday boy lovin' it.

They are all flashing the U sign.  Except Kyle, of course. 
I had to forbid him to wear his BYU jersey.  I think he's trying to do bunny ears.

While we were at the scrimmage the Smiths were on their way to visit us.  They were waiting
for us when we got home.  Chase was thrilled to have his cousins there for cake and ice cream.
I don't know what Doug is talking about, but he looks like he's about to lick that match.
At least Payton and Alex thought it was funny.

What does a 9 year old boy wish for?  For right now I think he already has everything he wants.
Nine is a great age.  Chase is a great kid.  This was a great birthday. 
We love you, Chase!

2 comments:

  1. Cute post Jaimy!
    I can't get over how much Chase looks like your dad, and Doug (your brother).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pictures! I know Payton loved the "not" party and now is determined to do the same thing. I'm also struggling with the fact that they are growing out of the wonderful childhood traditions too fast. Again, mostly because of my desire to do all the cutesy, fun stuff. Oh well, I guess we'll have to live it up with our younger kids as long as we can!

    ReplyDelete